Vendor: SolidWorks Corporation.
Supported Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows only.
General Description: The SolidWorks web-site describes SolidWorks as“3D CAD software (which) allows your team to design better products that can set you apart from your competitors. Each release delivers innovations and customer-requested enhancements that enable you to work smarter and faster.
Availability: SolidWorks is installed in every ITS-managed Windows lab.
Scope of License: Campus-wide education site license. Student home use is included in the Mines license. Research Labs are not included. Terms of the License are:
- You plan to use the Software for instructional purposes in classes for full-time, degree-, diploma- or certificate-seeking students where a student must be enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours of courses and lab work to be considered a full-time student, or you plan to use the Software for instructional purposes in a government certified apprenticeship program for degree-, diploma- or certificate-seeking students. (Please note that research labs are NOT eligible for Education Edition Licenses.)
- You will not use the files created by the Software for research or commercial purposes or enable others to use the files created by the Software for research or commercial purposes.
Method for Obtaining:
If you need SolidWorks installed on a Mines-owned machine, and the use meets the terms listed above, then please submit a request to the Mines Help Center.
For research and non-classroom use please contact our SolidWorks reseller for current pricing and purchasing:
Computer Aided Technology, Inc (CATI)
2075 Bryant Street
Denver, CO 80209
Phone (303) 481-6929
For student home use:
Please completely read the instructions below before attempting to install this software.
If you are using a Mac you will need to Boot Camp your computer and install Windows in order to run SolidWorks. Do this first:
1. Obtain Windows from MIcrosoft Azure Dev Tools for Teaching.
2. Follow directions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468. SolidWorks requires a minimum of 5 GB disk space in addition to Apple's recommendation.
3. Continue with installation instructions below.
You will need to have administrative rights on your computer and you must be connected to the Mines network either directly or via VPN to download and install SolidWorks.
Note: This installation may take a long time over a wireless connection. If possible use a wired LAN connection to perform this installation. Expect it to take between 35 minutes and several hours, depending on your network connection, processor speed, and other factors. It is recommended that you remove any previous versions before proceeding.
SolidWorks is not available for 32-bit operating systems. Only 64-bit is supported.
- Determine whether your computer uses a 32 bit or 64 bit processor
– Right click Computer
– Select Properties
– Under System, System Type, it will indicate either 32 or 64 bit Operating System
- You will need to have administrative rights on your computer.
- Confirm your system meets the SolidWorks system requirements before proceeding: System Requirements
- Obtain the SolidWorks Student Premium Edition (SEK) here: http://www.solidworks.com/SEK
– Obtain the serial number for the version of SolidWorks you want to install from the ITS software download site for Solidworks. (Note: You must have VPN enabled to access the download site if NOT on the campus network.)
- Follow the instructions provided to complete the installation of SolidWorks.
Training: Available at the SolidWorks YouTube channel.
In case of difficulties running the software in a Mines ITS managed lab: Contact ITS via the Mines Help Center. We want the program to be properly installed, licensed and functioning. If you have questions about the use of the program, please contact your instructor, TA or lab manager.