Office of the CIO
Office of the CIO Functions
Office of the CIO Functions
• IT Strategic Plan
• IT Service Management
• Business Operations
• Financial Planning and Budgeting
• Strategic Technology Acquisition
• IT Governance
• Project and Change Management
• Instructional and Learning Technology
• Technology Fee Coordination and Administration
• Outreach Coordination
• Identity and Access Management
• Business Process Transformation and Continuous Improvement
• Research Support and High Performance Computing Services
• Audiovisual, Lab and Classroom Support
• End-User Computing Support
• Information Security
• Applications Administration and Web Services
CIO Areas of Oversight
IT Strategic Plan
Mines@150 IT Strategic Plan
As part of the new vision for Mines@150, an institution-wide team is helping to develop a new Information Technology Strategic Plan.
link to cascade summary report
Mines Core Values
”We, the Colorado School of Mines community, are united by our commitment to our timeless mission of educating and inspiring students from all backgrounds and advancing knowledge and innovations, with the aspiration that our graduates, ideas, actions, and innovations will have a transformative impact on individuals and society, leading to shared prosperity and sustainable use of the Earth’s resources.”
From Values of the Colorado School of Mines Community (2017)
Vision for Information Solutions and Technology Services @ Mines
Provide a Premier Mines Experience
Our vision is to create a premier and innovative information and technology environment supported by a robust, reliable, secure, world-class infrastructure to catalyze Mines as a top-of-mind, first-choice university for students, faculty, staff, and public and private partners.
We will continuously create an environment where information and technology are competitive differentiators for our students, scholars, educators, researchers, staff, and partners.
We will create an information and technology enterprise and culture that is empowering and enabling to the Mines community, by identifying solutions to pressing organizational, operational, institutional, local and global problems.
We will be a service-oriented, collaborative partner with campus and beyond, both responsive and agile, striking an appropriate balance between providing robust and reliable technology solutions while being a fast adopter of new and emerging technologies.
Strengthen IT Enterprise Operations
- ERP Readiness Assessment
- Banner 9 Self Service
- Enterprise Document Management
- Identity and Access Management
- Data Center Upgrades
- Hybrid Cloud – Agility and Performance
- PCI Compliance
Business Process Transformation
- Business Process Mapping
- Lean Six Sigma
- Organizational Culture and Change Readiness
- Process Improvement & Continuous Improvement
- Project Management
- Organizational Change Management
- Operationalizing the IT Strategic Plan in alignment to the Mines@150 and the President’s 13 Initiatives
- Deploy Strategy Execution Software
- KPI Management
Culture and Values
- Customer Service Focus
- Leadership Development Program
- Team Member Experience
- Values Statement Development
Enterprise IT Service Management
- TeamDynamix Service Rollout to departments outside of IT
- Change Management
- Major Incident
- Asset Management
- Integration of AI Bot into Service Desk
Organizational Effectiveness and Efficiencies
- IT Staffing Assessment
- IT Organizational Redesign
- Software Acquisitions Process Automation
- Security Operations Center (SOC)
- Security Awareness Training
- Project Governance
- Organizational Change Readiness
- Measuring and Communicating the Value of IT through Metrics
Strategic Data Managment
- Data Governance Plan
- Data Quality
- Strategic Analytics and Reporting
- Self-Service BI and Analytics
- Integration Platform as a Service (iPaaS)
RESEARCH AND INNOVATION: EXPANSION OF RESEARCH AND SUPPORT SERVICES
- Sub Surface Frontier Initiative to ensure growth and scale of research
- Collaboration with USGS to share visualization and HPC resources
- Developing infrastructure and information security plan that serves both Mines and USGS
- Developing a sustainable funding model to enable the expansion of service offerings.
- NIST/CUI Support
- Upgrade Edgar Mine Infrastructure – High Speed connectivity to and throughout the Edgar Mine
Link to Cascade
Link to Cascade
- Establish a distinctive teaching, learning and student engagement experience that supports differentiated STEM-educated leaders.
- Create a cyberinfrastructure and a collaborative culture that empowers growth in the scale and impact of Mines research, innovation, and scholarship.
- Connect and extend the Mines community to prospective students, alumni, the surrounding community, and to national and international partners, establishing Mines as a preferred partner through technology, innovation, and service.
- Drive a digitally advanced university supported by data-informed business processes and secure, integrated solutions that support Mines as a great place to live, explore, learn, and work.
- Establish a service-focused information solutions and technology services organization that is a collaborative partner in providing solutions that empowers and supports this strategic plan’s strategies, goal, and objectives.
“…to create a premier and innovative information and technology environment supported by a robust, reliable, secure, world-class infrastructure…”
Woven throughout the Vision, Strategies, Goals, and Objectives
Efforts are measured to ensure progress and identify opportunities for continual improvement
Solutions are most effective when jointly identified and developed
Progress requires the intentional and active development of solutions
Being agile, accepting risk and trying new ideas can lead to new opportunities
Leading Edge Technologies
Rapid adoption of innovative yet reliable technologies provides a premier experience
Strategy: Establish a distinctive teaching, learning and student engagement experience that supports differentiated STEM-educated leaders.
- Enable the delivery of innovative, high quality technology-enabled pedagogical models of instruction
- Provide learning and living environments that are differentiated by a technology ecosystem that contributes to being a first-choice for students
- Establish a digital-first, omni-present, personalized environment for student engagement
- Empower and support student co-curricular initiatives through innovative digital tools
- Ensure broad accessibility of all digital resources
Research & Scholarship
Strategy: Create a cyberinfrastructure and a collaborative culture that empowers growth in the scale and impact of Mines research, innovation, and scholarship.
- Empower new developments and enhancements in research enabled by a best-in-class technology infrastructure
- Ensure growth and scale of research is furthered through external collaboration and partnerships that leverage cyberinfrastructure
- Enable collaborative research between Mines and external partners through shared yet secure infrastructure
- Collaborate with institutional partners in creating an environment that values and supports creativity and scholarship in all forms
Strategy: Connect and extend the Mines community to prospective students, alumni, the surrounding community, and to national and international partners, establishing Mines as a preferred partner through technology, service, and innovation.
- Create a digitally-powered social community that welcomes and empowers all Mines stakeholders
- Establish a collaborative culture that connects Mines to learning and research communities around the globe
- Leverage technology to make Mines and its community more attractive and accessible to potential students, faculty, and staff
Strategy: Drive a digitally advanced university supported by data-informed business processes and secure, integrated solutions that support Mines as a great place to live, explore, learn, and work.
- Define an institutional Digital Strategy to guide digital transformation
- Enable transparent, data-informed decision-making through accurate, accessible institutional data and analytics
- Achieve operational efficiencies through process re-engineering and digitization
- Assure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information assets through a comprehensive, risk-based information and cyber- security strategy
- Create a robust, integrated Identity & Access Management platform to simplify user experience, improve efficiencies, and increase opportunities for data sharing
Premier Information Services Organization
Strategy: Establish a service-focused information and technology organization that is a collaborative partner in providing solutions that empowers and supports this strategic plan’s strategies, goals, and objectives.
- Create an organizational culture that ensures the highest levels of customer service to the Mines community and beyond
- Become a preferred partner to campus stakeholders and to external entities
- Establish a results-focused organization, dedicated to delivering solutions that maximize the campus investment in information services and technology
- Create internal and external partnerships that promote innovation and advance the mission of the information services organization and of Mines
- Employ a strategic information services and technology workforce that is diverse, inclusive, knowledgeable, and highly skilled
- Ensure an organizational culture that empowers individuals and teams through mutual respect, trust, and open communication
- Demonstrate effectiveness and value of the investment in information services and technology in supporting institutional goals and priorities
Operationalizing the Plan: KPI’s and Objectives
To support each strategy and realize the aspirational goals that support each of those strategies, this strategic plan must form the basis for annual operational plans that have institution-wide impact.
The next steps in realizing the vision will include:
- Identification of Key Performance Indicators for each of the identified Goals that will be used to track progress towards each goal
- Creation of annual Operational Plans that outline specific Objectives for each of the Goals
- These Operational Plans identify specific objectives to be achieved during the course of the year.
- The identified Objectives are actionable, tangible efforts that, when completed, help to achieve the identified Goals
- Periodic updates to the Strategic Plan and associated Goals. In order to maintain relevancy and effectiveness, the plan, goals, and objectives must necessarily change over time.